Alsbury's in Canada
- There are some Alsbury family members in British Columbia, Canada.
This group descend from the Aylesbury family of Corsley, Wiltshire,
via a branch which lived in Scotland
in the C19.
- Two of the family returned from Canada to the UK and then France to
serve as members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during WWI.
- Amongst the Mayors of Vancouver,
Canada, is to be found another member of this family: A.T.Alsbury (1959-1962).
He appears to have been known as 'Tom' and obituaries appeared in the
Toronto Globe and Mail (Metro Edition) and the Vancouver Sun, as well
as various Seattle and other newspapers, in 1990.
- One legal case of interest is that of Canadian Transport (U.K.) Ltd.
v. Alsbury et al.,  1 D.L.R. 385, 7 W.W.R. 49, 105 C.C.C. 20
, arising out of a labour dispute and raising important issues about
the difference in procedure between criminal contempt and civil contempt.
This case is cited in Takla Track & Timber Ltd v. Thomas Patrick,
et al.,  No C940037 in the Supreme Court of British Columbia,
Vancouver Registry , and in
John Allan Witham v John William Holloway, F.C. 95/035 (1995) 131 ALR 401,
(1995) 69 ALJR 847 in the High Court of Australia.
- Another branch of Alsbury's are to be found in the Toronto area.
These are more recent (C20) migrants descended from the Alsbury's of Corston
and Derby in the UK.
©C_Alsbury 1996-9 all rights reserved