Alsbury family - UK
My researches have identified three principal branches of the family
which are as follows:
- The Corston (Somerset) Alsbury's
- The various branches of the Alsbury family which have spread out from Derby
are all part of the Corston branch of the family. They seem to have moved to
Derby with the opportunities of work on the growing railway network in the
- The Weston Zoyland (Somerset) Ealsbury's
- From the mid C18 there were Ealsbury's in Weston Zoyland, Somerset until the mid C19
- By which time some were Alsbury's and others were Elsbury's - of the Alsbuiry's, the
elder children's families migrated towards Bridgwater, and the younger branches to live
in and around Cheltenham. One of the Elsbury's joined the Metropolitan Police Force and
spent many years in London before retiring back to Somerset.
I am grateful to the team of Alsbury / Elsbury / Ellsbury researchers
who are co-operating in tracing the family in the Somerset Levels area -
no easy task!
- The Bucklebury (Berkshire) Alsbury's
- The surviving branches of this family appear to descend from
William Alsbury (ca 1768 - 1852) and Thomas Alsbury, who both lived
at Bucklebury in the late C18/early C19. There are Elsbury and Alesbury
families who also link back to Bucklebury - I have a suspicion that
anciently they may all have been part of the Albury families of
Berkshire / Hampshire.
The Corston family, and possibly the Weston Zoyland family, are
quite likely descended, as are the Aylesbury's of Midsomer Norton
and Radstock from the Aylesbury family at Corsley in Wiltshire, and
in particular from Revd Thomas Aylesbury (1597-1661).
This Aylesbury was brought up in the Birmingham area and a number
of his published sermons and works survive. He is briefly noted
in the Dictionary of National Biography.
©C_Alsbury 1996-9 all rights reserved